Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Step by Step - Day 2

Day 2 - October 2, 2012

over the past 4 months, i have been training for a triathlon.  the training was overwhelming at first.  the most difficult portion of training for the triathlon for me was the running.  i caught myself focusing on the end of the run and not focusing on the run itself.  let me explain....  i would focus on getting to the finishing point rather than focusing on my breathing and cadence of steps during my run.  i soon realized if i would look at my goal and then focus on the steps i was taking along with my breathing, i would get to my goal.

i think sometimes in life we focus so much on the goals in our lives, we may not be present for our journey...

in the next activity, i would like for you to do 3 things....

1.  Write down what you feel your spouse expects of you?
(list examples of all the things you think your spouse expects of you)

2.  Write down what you feel your children expect of you?
(list examples of all the things you think your children expect of you)

3.  Ask them to write down what they expect of you.... or ask your children that cannot write...
(compare the lists and see if you had any of the same ideas)


after you see their answers, talk with them and share your answers with them.

sometimes we don't realize all the expectations our family want from us.  we are focused on what we think they want from us and not what they really want.  we are focused on the goal we want for them and not what they need right now.  maybe we can slow down and truly understand step by step what our families need from us.....

what will we do with this precious information?  are we going to use it to make our family better?  the challenge is, now that we know, will we do something about it?

proverbs 19:21 "many are the plans of a mans heart, but God's purpose always prevails."

let me know what you think....  send me examples of what it felt like to have those conversations with your family members....

you can respond to this blog or email me at justinpresley1977@gmail.com

thanks

Justin




No comments:

Post a Comment