Sunday, October 28, 2012

Family Fun Day - Day 28

Day 28


My family made a decision last year to go to a specific restaurant every Wednesday after church.  My family made Polo's the destination spot for the 6 of us.  It is funny how much they look forward to going there every week.  When we are making our weekly dinner menu, our kids will be the first ones to say on Wednesday, we don't need to eat at home.  I haven't figure out whether they like Polo's that much or do they just like knowing the family will all be together at the same place, at the same time, every week.  

Although it happens every week and they are excited, sometimes Heather and I are there, but we are not really there.  We may have an overwhelming need to check Facebook or text messages.  We have emails still needing to be checked.  I know several times my wife has had to remind me to pay attention and listen to the story my kids may have been telling me.  

Our kids deserve us to get on their level.  I know my youngest daughter loves to crawl all over me when I lay in the floor.  I know when I look at life from her level, things are way bigger and totally different than my level.  Maybe that's why she loves me to pick her up so she can see what's up here.  Then and only then, she can see me face to face.  When she's in my arms or I am on my knees, is the only time she sees her daddy face to face.  The problem for her is I have to make that choice.  She can't.  I either have to get down on her level or bring her up to mine.  



Challenge:

Today get to their level.  Do whatever it takes to make sure you see life from there perspective..... 

Challenge 2:

Somehow and in someway, bring them to your level.  Teach them something you do or take them somewhere only you go....

Challenge 3:

Tell us about it.  There are about 75 - 100 people who are reading this blog daily.  We would all like to know what you did today and how your kids responded...



justinpresley1977@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Well, as you know, Justin, my kiddos are pretty much all grown up like yourself, but I do still have my youngest (16 year old daughter) at home with me. I guess you could say I have pretty much committed my life to getting to my children's levels all their lives now. Yesterday was absolutely no exception. Yesterday, I joined my 16 year old daughter at her level, as I took her for her very first attempt at driving a car on real roads. She did an absolutely marvelous job and she drove for about two hours total. You know, some people say they would never attempt to teach their own children to drive, but I wouldn't have missed that experience with Hannah in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. So far we have built Lincoln log homes, wrestled, & now we are planning out our family outting to the track this afternoon. Maybe a game of kickball!!

      Thanks for the reply.

      Delete