Saturday, May 31, 2014

Baseball and Tears....

Nothing like a great day at the ballpark.  I walked away as proud as a father could be.  I walked away with my chest out because my son came through when he was needed.  Today wasn't the best day at the ballpark for our team.  We won both games, but you could tell we were a little rusty.  There were a few routine plays that went terribly wrong and there were several times the boys were just not on their game.  I had decided that today I would make sure and not be negative to my son or the other boys.  I had made up my mind, no matter what, I would be positive to the kids and encourage them as best I could.

As I walked to first base every inning, I tried to leave the dugout after saying some encouraging words to our team.  I even would pick up the ball for the opposing pitcher if the opportunity presented itself.

On first base, as a coach, there are several conversations that go on between the opposing coaches, the umpires, and the players as they reach first base.  The conversations range from the Thunder pulling through, the weather, where all our kids go to school, and any other topic outside of baseball you can think of.  I sat back in more of a quiet mindset today and listened to the coaches from the other teams.  I was unbelievably amazed at what I heard as they talked to their players and to each other.

I started thinking about how much pressure we put on our kids to be perfect at every bat, every pitch, every play, and every moment they are on the field.  I starting thinking about how much expectation we put on them every time they step on the field.  Don't get me wrong, I think you should be prepared, but if you aren't, how can we hold them accountable.

Then it happened.  The learning moment for a coach, father, and christian.

Parker was at the plate during a really tense and stressful situation.  We had runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs in the last inning.  It was our last at bat and we were down by 1 run.  I walked down closer to home plate than usual and hollered to my son.  I yelled to him, "I want to to dig down deep and see exactly what you are made of son."  He responded with his usual nod and went back to his practice swing.  Here comes the pitch.  He swings and fouls it off.  As the battle at the plate went back and forth for another 4 or 5 foul balls, I started hearing a conversation in the dugout next to me from the opposing coaches.  They were talking about how all they needed was one more out and the kid at the plate hadn't been on base all game.  I heard them saying how all they needed was one more strike.  They knew all they needed was one out to end the game and win.

In the middle of their conversation, I hollered to my son and told him again, "you got this, dig down deep and give it all you have, son...."

As I walked back to the dugout, I looked over at the coaches and told them, "I love players being in theses type situations....I love them being put to the test..."

The replied with saying how the felt the exact opposite.  I looked at them and said, "HE is going to do this....we got faith in him..."

As I turned around, the pitcher goes through his stretch and throws the ball..Parker hits the ball harder than he had all day...he hits the ball between the 1st baseman and 2nd baseman and it gets through....

Both runs score and we win the game...

As he stood on the bag with the winning run crossing the plate, I grabbed him and held him up as he pumped his hands in the air and I told him how proud I was of him and I knew he was going to do it...I knew he was going to come through for his team...

Then it happened...The lesson was presenting itself to be learned...

I looked over at Parker with tears of joy running down his face at what he had done and I smiled because I was already teared up.  His teammates were hugging him and chest bumping with him as they celebrated their victory.  We were both so happy we couldn't do anything but cry.  As his team mates asked him if he was okay, he just smiled and cried some more at the accomplishment he just had...

You know they say, "there's no crying in baseball."  Today on the Blake Auld Memorial Fields in Seminole, OK. there was crying in baseball.  And if you have a problem with it, my son and I don't care...

I am going to cry when I want too.  I am going to encourage our team as much as I can. I am going to keep trying to inspire our kids to know they can come through when they are in a tough situation.  I am going to keep trying to help these young boys become Godly young men.  I'm going to let them know I believe in them.

If they strike out, it can all go away with one hit.
If they overthrow a base, it can all go away with one gunned down baserunner.
If they get thrown out, it can all go away with another stole base.
If they get a bad hop, it can all go away with another caught ground ball.
If they have a bad inning, it can go away with a good inning.

If they cry over a victory and personal accomplishment, I hope that heart never changes....Ever....



No comments:

Post a Comment